Ten years ago, today, Family Services officially moved into its new headquarters on South Broad Street near Salem Avenue in the Southeast Gateway, along what is now the Salem Greenway.
When it opened its doors in 2008, the new building was the first in Forsyth County to be certified green by the U. S. Green Building Council. Construction of the 20,000-square-foot building was recognized with a Silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating based on its environmental performance and sustainable design.
The building’s “green” elements include flooring made of cork, electric lighting that automatically adjusts according to incoming light, and adhesives, sealants, paints, coatings, carpets and composite wood with low volatile organic-compound content. A large cistern collects rain water that is used to irrigate the five healing gardens surrounding the building.
Family Services began the search for a new home in 2003, when its current, rented office space on Coliseum Drive was included in a plan to sell the property, according to a 2006 Winston-Salem Journal article. The agency had rented their previous space since 1957.
A ribbon-cutting and dedication ceremony for the new $3.8 million home for Family Services was held on June 4, 2008.