Adoptive Families – The Resource & Community for Adoption Parenting
Information about adoption from “just getting started” to post-adoption issues.
International Adoption Partner Agencies:
- Holt International Children’s Services in Oregon
- Children’s Home Society/Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota
- The Barker Foundation in Maryland
- Living Hope Adoption Agency in Pennsylvania
- Chinese Children Adoption International
- Bay Area Adoption Services in California
- Faith International Adoptions
- Across the World Adoptions
- World Association for Children and Parents (WACAP)
- Spence-Chapin Family Services
- Great Wall China Adoption/Children of All Nations
- Lutheran Social Services of the South
- All God’s Children International
Family Medical Leave Act
The Family Leave Act requires employers of more than 50 workers to give full-time employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for the birth or adoption of a child. Your employer may have more generous benefits.
Employee Benefit Programs
Many private and governmental employers offer adoption assistance and benefits, from financial reimbursement, paid and unpaid leave, and resource and referral services. Check with your employer’s human resources or benefits department.
Children with Special Needs
Adoption subsidies are available to assist with adoption fees, medical and therapy services and special education needs. Currently, a federal tax credit of up to $13,360 is available after your adoption is finalized. See IRS Tax Topic 607.
DOMESTIC ABUSE AND
FAMILY VIOLENCE RESOURCES
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Family Services Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline
336.723.8125 (24-hours/7 days a week)
SEXUAL ASSAULT RESOURCES
National Sexual Assault Hotline
Family Services Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Hotline
336.722.4457 (24-hours/7 days a week)
Sexual Assault victim services in Forsyth County, NC
Survivors of Sexual Assault Guide – English (PDF)
North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault
811 Spring Forest Road, Suite 900
Raleigh, NC 27609
Resources for male survivors of sexual assault, abuse.
PO Box 222033
Santa Clarita, CA 91322
Forsyth County and State of North Carolina
Mental Health Association (MHA) of Forsyth County
1509 S. Hawthorne Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
American Foundation of Suicide Prevention – North Carolina Chapter
Resources for those who have lost someone to suicide to help them transform their grief into positive action.